Don't Miss All That Latvia Has to Offer
Riga | Latvia
Latvia is one of those places if you don't already have a connection there, it might not have crossed your mind as your next destination.
But if you're a sucker for fairytale forests that throw you into a tranquil state, breathtaking seaside beaches with sunsets that match, or cityscapes and architecture that take you to another time, then Riga, Latvia, is definitely for you.
I was mesmerized by the nature in Latvia; never have I ever experienced a forest so enchanting that I felt thrown into a fairytale land. I was able to give mushrooming a go for the first time which became some form of meditation as you wander through the woods with no concept of time breathing in the fresh air.
The beauty of experiencing the sunset over the Baltic Sea stopped me in my tracks to the point that, as a photographer, I didn't know where to point my camera first. I can chalk this sight up to one of the most breathtaking, magical scenes I've ever laid my eyes on. And that's saying something because I've seen my fair share of Door County sunsets which hold their own with the best of the best.
And then there was the architecture. I have a crazy love for architecture and I always will, so it tends to be my focus of photography. Let me tell you, Riga did not disappoint. We wound our way through Old Riga with its colorful buildings, holding in stories old and new.
After experiencing such beauty in city and nature, I'm convinced Riga should be on everyone's European bucket list.
Latvia Travel Guides & Tips
- Lonely Planet Guide to Latvia
- Official Latvia Tourism Portal
- Live Riga
- Transportation: Riga offers plenty of public transit by bus/trams/and rail all of which are easy to navigate! Tickets can be purchased from the drivers.
- For all my foodies: Riga Restaurant Week is twice a year during the second week of October and May!
- Foraging: Have your hand at mushrooming or blueberry hunting in the forest! Just don't forget to check for ticks afterwards.
- Best time to travel: Late spring into summer. Although, I can imagine how beautiful autumn would be! If you do decide to venture later in the season, be sure to pack for some chilly weather.
Adventure Video: Exploring Riga, Latvia
P.S. If you're feeling cheeky, please give this article a share! ;)